Mystery of the Egyptian raids in Libya

MideastWire.com

Libyen: Bombardierung durch ägyptische Luftwaffe und Marine?

On October 16, the independent, leftist As-Safir daily carried the following report by Moustafa Bassiouni: The issue of the Egyptian military intervention in Libya remains a mystery as reflected by the leaks of Egyptian officials who indicated that raids had been carried out against locations of the Islamic groups in Libya followed by a presidential denial of these pieces of information.

According to the Egyptian officials, this operation came in response to a demand on the part of the Libyan government based in Tobruk, which enjoys an international recognition since the Islamists seized control of Tripoli. The two Egyptian officials who refused to reveal their names said that this operation included the use of Egyptian warships, which served as a command center facing the coasts of Tobruk adding that this operation might extend from 3 to 6 months.

As a quick official reaction to these reports, the Egyptian presidency issued a statement yesterday where it denied any participation of the Egyptian forces in bombarding Libyan locations. In turn, the official spokesperson for the Egyptian ministry of foreign affairs, Badr Abdul Ati told As-Safir that the published pieces of information are completely wrong. He further insisted that Egypt hasn’t carried out any operations on the Libyan lands.

For his part, military expert, Maj. Gen. Nabil Fouad, told As-Safir that the Egyptian position hasn’t changed and can be summarized by the fact that the Egyptian command refuses to carry out any operations in Libya. It can however offer indirect support such as training the Libyan forces on the Egyptian land or offering logistical services. Fouad added: I don’t think that Egypt will enter this quagmire.

In turn, the director of the Strategic Dialogue Forum, Military Expert Adel Suleiman also stressed on the same idea and told As-Safir: In principle, all the possibilities can be envisaged especially that things are developing at a quick pace. However, the rumors about Egypt having taken part in the air raids of interventions in Libya are not documented and have not been officially confirmed. He added: As long as there has been no official announcement on the part of Egypt, then these pieces of information cannot be considered seriously especially that their sources are unknown.

It is worthy to note that the reiteration of the talk about the participation of Egyptian jets in bombarding Libyan posts came a few days following a visit carried out by the Libyan prime minister to Cairo. During this visit, the latter met with President Abdul Fattah el-Sisi and prominent officials in the state…“

As-Safir, Lebanon